Friday, October 19, 2012

True Story YO


I recently sat down with a professor on campus and talked about what it means to be black in a white-dominated culture. We talked about overcoming stereotypes, the hesitation to be yourself, and the profiled expectations of the surrounding population. At the root of the conversation we both understood that our perceptions of being a minority are influenced by the placement both by self and others into the position of being the “spokes person” for all other black people.

Growing up at an all white school, from an early age I realized that my actions would be perceived differently than my white classmates. And because of this difference, I become the “spokes person” for black people. This can be burdensome and exhausting, then at other times empowering.

My friends were often confused why I spoke Standard English instead of Ebonics and were surprised when they found out I achieved good grades. Many children, trying not to pop their bubbled world view, often called me white. Basically insinuating that a black person could not  be well spoken, intelligent and have life goals that are not professional sports or music.

These kids frustrated me. Which is the reason why I chose to accept the position as “spokes person for black people.” I would tell them you can’t act a color and propose that they attempt to act pink.

Eventually, my classmates perception began to change as we spent more and more time together. But while this is happening I also felt a loss of self. Everything I did was so strategic and thought-out nothing flowed naturally. I couldn’t be myself for fear that I may be stereotyped.

There is another issue here, which is who is to judge whether your lifestyle choices and actions are good or bad. I wanted to present a very successful, put-together black person to the world and others may feel being black means something else or nothing at all. I still wonder if I did the right thing throughout my childhood, or if I should have been content with being me. Not worried about the general populations opinion of black people.

What do you think is this “spokes person” position important or one that is actually detrimental to self and the people around?

Your friend in the Access and Diversity Center,
Mariah Bryant 

No comments:

Post a Comment